Dearheart Designs: Have You Ever Felt Judged?   

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Have You Ever Felt Judged?

I would assume that most people have felt judged at some point or another in their lives.  There have been a few times in my life when people have judged me (i.e, "Why do you continue to work there??")  Recently, I began participating in the RCIA classes to become a Catholic.  I was raised as a Protestant.  I was married in a Protestant church and I had my daughter baptized Protestant.  However, within the last several years, I have felt a gaping hole that I have been desperately trying to fill.  I think that everyone's personal feelings for why they choose their particular religion are precisely that - their personal reasons.  The fact that I have started the classes has come up in conversation with some co-workers recently.  The reaction that I receive is (a) their mouth drops open and (b) they say, "Why would you do that?"  I have felt the need to justify to people this extremely personal and private decision, which I know in my heart I shouldn't.  I have several reasons why, but they are my own.  As long as it is making me feel better and improving my life, then it really shouldn't matter to you, right?  Right! 

I began lessons on tolerance and diversity recently in my third grade classes and the question of "What do you wish people would understand about you?" came up.  The question stumpled my students completely at first.  Then, after they gave it some thought, the answers came quickly.  This personal example was on my mind while discussing this with my students. 

So, I was wondering if any of you wanted to share what you wish others would understand about you? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a perfectionist, and I come off sometimes as a snarky, snob. What it really amounts to is low self-esteem. If things are "perfect" then all is right with the world and there is stability. When I get upset, it is not because someone didn't do something perfectly, it is because I have a flaw I wish to change and I never meant to hurt the other person. I voted for you on PF. This was a great post. Thank you for sharing and letting me share with you. =)