The first graders, teachers, and their assistants in the elementary school I work in often use the "I Am From" poem as a writing prompt. Reading others' made me cry last year. I felt the sudden urge to write my own recently and I'd like to share it with you.
I am from Steve & Judi, parents divided, yet love me the same.
Long sails with wind in my hair, toasty campfires, and buggy canoe trips.
From sweaty soccer cleats, saxophone lessons, and wishing to grow up quickly.
I am from “I’m so proud of you”.
I am from Henry and Peggy.
From the smell of sawdust and “What a beautiful day to be alive”.
Watchful eyes, gentle hugs, and learning the value of a dollar.
I am from “Watch your step Dearheart”.
I am from Erica, sister and rival turned best friend.
From Twinkies shoved in my face and Ring Dings up my nose.
Late nights of hot chocolate and fluffernutters.
I am from “I wish you were here”.
I am from Joe, my angel , my love.
Generosity abound, undeserving patience, loving father.
From Brilliant Survivor.
From cocktails and spinach dip, cookouts, and tears for Pachelbel’s Canon.
I am from “Always kiss me goodnight”.
I am from two nameless babies, loved and lost.
From the feel of butterfly wings stroking the back of my neck.
Believing in miracles and the power of prayer.
I am from “I will never forget you”.
I am from my daughter, six going on thirteen.
From ballet slippers and coloring ‘til my hands hurt.
Belly laughs, singing in the car, and hide and go seek.
I am from “Goodnight my miracle on earth”.
I am from a new son, a blessing I thought I'd never receive.
Squeals and giggles, smiles, and hugs.
Amazing wonder what I did to deserve you.
I am from “My family is complete”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















5 comments:
newest Follower Nice Poem, I have never done one of those I wouldnt know where to begin! thanks for following me
I love the poem! New follower from Follow Me Friday http://www.puddlescollection.com/blog/
Oh my gosh...your poem brought tears to me eyes. It was so full of emotion and you shared so much of yourself (and I don't even know you!). That was/is a great writing prompt. I am a new follower.
Holly
504 Main
I am now following back. This is great for reviews and giveaways. I love a good deal!
This is absolutely beautiful! Lovely words! :) Hazel
Post a Comment